Thread: Sewing a Finger
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Maurene

I've done that too. I was sort of glad the machine was going fast enough that it came out too! Make sure you treat it well, I did - I cleaned it with soap and water, then put topical antibiotic/antibacterial ointment one then dressed it with a closed elastoplast dressing. It healed quickly without infection.

A friend did not fare as well - she pretended it didn't happen I think, sluiced it off with a little warm water, went back to work guarding the undressed finger somewhat, working with fabrics she had not pre-washed and she ended up with a rip-roaring infection, maybe partly reaction from dyes and finishing products on the fabric too. I took one look at it and shooed her straight to the ER. She was on IV antibiotics for two weeks, if not could have lost the finger or gotten septicemia or both.

Prevention- Work with pre-washed fabrics, put tape marks near the seam guidelines on the machine plate to remind you of finger boundaries, resist sewing too quickly, use the speed control if you happen to be a speed demon, and take breaks so you don't get too mesmerized by work and too tired.

All this from the Cross Red Nurse Take care of yourselves!

Love

Maurene

PS I finished two Job's Tears blocks, 1 pink, 1 smaller blue for Ina May's Safe Motherhood quilt panel. When I finish the whole block I'll send a photo. In the meantime here are photos of two tiny little nursing medal holder 'quiltlets' made for classmates and me to hold our precious hard earned school of nursing medals. I tried to upload photos of our church Bicentennial quilt but find Mac stuff so much harder to manage. Will persevere and send soon.

one of these was supposed to be pink and both were upright when sent!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85704.jpe   attachment-85705.jpe