View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by debijod
Check out the pics I added of my "new" Free-Westinghouse that I paid $1.00 for at a garage sale!
Who wants a history lesson.........

The machine that you have is made buy Koyo which turned in to Koyo-Seiko and then Seiko. Yes it is the same company as the one who makes the watches and you will find that the Japanese companies are EXTREMELY diversified. The company eventually moved its entire operations to India and are now being produced by the S.K.Sharma & Sons corp. Thats right India is the capital of the sewing machine world right now with over 95% of the Japanese sewing machines being made over there for export.

I have a "Universal 15" that was made by Koyo in the mid 50's and the company badges machines for a lot of folks. But I had no idea that they were doing these machines also, so this machine is a very important one for my research into the Japanese machines!! I am going to say this machine is a mid 50's machine going from what I know about the company and when the transition occurred. I have some translated inter office documents from them talking about the merger and the desire for a broader export business. Really interesting reads these documents are.

Congratulations on the machine and if you need any information I might have it here in front of me if not I can find it.

Billy