View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
ktbb

[quote=BKrenning][quote=ktbb]
Originally Posted by Honchey
I think the "Shuffle the Deck" blocks are also called Stack and Whack. Bethany Reynolds made the term "Stack 'n' Whack" very popular with her books using her method of making kaleidoscope blocks but it is also an accurate description for the "Shuffle the Deck" type, too.
Because I was confused, I did some additional research...as said above, Bethany Reynolds used the term "Stack'n'Whack" to describe her technique which is very similar to the OBW. However, since then, many others have put out patterns using the same or similar technique and called it something similar. Buggy Barn patterns all use the stack/whack/switch technique, tho they don't officially call it that.

I guess the original SnW was very close to the OBW (or the other way around, I don't know who/which was first) and the terms seem to have been used as titles of books from their respective authors. SnW seems to have turned generic, while OBW still seems to be accepted as the specific block/design that was originally introduced.

Kind of like "Coke" and "Katsup"(don't know how to spell the brand name!), the terms are names for very specific items but have become so common that they are used generically to describe any brand that is similar.

Thanks for the question - it got me thinking and searching instead of just assuming.