Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Marcia

Wow, Catherine. You have said a mouthful here and I would like to comment, if you do not mind. The first thing I would like to say is that I do not think there is a single person on this message board that would ever want to shun you for expressing your opinion. I think this is a group that welcomes all quilters, no matter what their style. I do not think you have anything to "get over". From the tone of your post, I am thinking there is a very frustrated, creative woman in there trying to get out!! You need to just throw caution (and the rules) to the wind and create what makes you happy :lol: Yes, you are a quilter!!!!

There are many styles of quilting. I happen to love traditional quilts-but I have never made one because I get very bored making the same block over and over and over again. (maybe I have ADD?). I would rather make a quilt where every block is a little different, or completely different. When I finish a quilt top I put it aside because I see what that quilt looks like-I have no desire to "waste my time" quilting it. I have no quilting ideas of my own and do not enjoy either hand or machine quilting. I have to either send a quilt out to be quilted or agonize over it myself. Yet, I still consider myself to be a quilter.

When I was young I was taught to "stay in the lines". I do not have an original thought in my head. If you give me a blank piece of paper and tell me to draw something I am busy looking around at everyone else's paper to see what they are drawing!! I have to use a pattern to make a quilt-though I can get creative with color.

For years I have attended quilt shows and looked at art quilts. I have no desire to ever even try to make an art quilt but, I find them to be beautiful. I appreciate all the time and TALENT that goes into them. I am fascinated by them. They are truly works of art.

Even if your quilting style is not "like everyone elses" on this board, do not think we do not want to see your quilts, or that we will not appreciate them. There are many things in life that are not my style, but that does not mean I cannot enjoy them. PLEASE, buy some art quilt magazines, or doodle on reams of paper or roll around the floor in your fabric stash-whatever makes you feel creative-then do your thing and let us appreciate your talents!!!!