View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 AM
77mercedes

hi all,

I just re-did my sewing room last spring. -- Ran out of room for fabic as I'm sure you all understand. I got used kitchen cabs for $100, used the uppers for the lower section and cut a hole to drop in the machine. the counter height cabs I set up for the cutting area. I even got a bench seat that fits perfectly under the windows out of an oven cab that I cut up. I wrapped plywood with vinyl (on sale for a buck/yd - hideous, but i used the back) for the counter. I managed to do the whole thing (paint, drapes, pillows and storage) for under $200!! I love it! The plywood was easy to cut and cover, the mats and fabric stayed put on the vinyl and I could just wipe them down.

Ironically, two weeks after I finished the installation, I got brand new formica counters for free from work - wrong color delivered and they were gonna be tossed out. They fit the cabinet layout perfectly and look great, but were a pain to cut for the machine and VERY heavy. in some ways i miss the old ones, but don't regret the investment for a second.

good luck with your holiday projects!
kdt