View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 AM
athenagwis

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have had my HQ16 for 6 years now, and i do KING size quilts all the time, i don't know why someone couldn't...maybe her table isn't big enough? we built my table i don't have the one you get from handi quilter; i have had a good time with my machine and can do very good work...the issues i have had are:
1)no tech support...there is nowhere near where i live to work on it when there's a problem. i have to call Utah and troubleshoot long distance....which has been successful, they are very helpful and responsive when i've had to call
if i were to do it over i don't know that i would buy the same machine, i think i would have shopped around a little more, and found something where i could get parts and service locally.
2).............
hmmmmmmmmmmm i guess there aren't any more issues. i believe it is a great (beginner) machine, it does not have all the bells and whistles of one of the big gammils but you can do beautiful work with it, i set it up myself (with lifting help it is heavy) i bought it new and it was shipped in boxes from utah to michigan. i had problems at first but those should be all worked out of a used one.
oh, there is one other issue....and i can't fix this one...makes me mad...
in my handle bars are lights; rows of little led lights, they started burning out, so when i contacted the company to find out about getting lights replaced i was told that was an upgrade, they no longer have/ or use those lights, i have to buy new handle bars, ($700+)now the lights are in little pods and they can be pulled out and replaced, my little rows are obsolete. the machine still works just fine but slowly and surely my lights are burning out. i just put more light in the room :)
if possible try the machine out before you buy it, i took a class in a shop in Florida on vacation, and ordered the machine, had it shipped from Utah to Michigan....really dumb way to do it....the shop offered a really good deal and i did not consider maintence needs.
the pictures of my sister's quilt i just finished show stitching on the HQ16
Thanks so much for your thoughts!! The woman selling the one I want says she has quilted quilts that were 105 wide, so I think she has a large enough table to do Kings too. It sounds like one of your biggest issues with the machine is that you don't have local service, which, luckily, I would. There is a shop that sells (and I assume does service too) these machines right in the next town over. They do classes and stuff too, so I think I would have a lot of support there even though I am buying used, I am sure they will still be able to help me out should I need it. The biggest thing I have to worry about is finding a place for it in my condo!! :)

Thanks!!
Rachel