View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:33 AM
laurlync

After reading posts on here about turning your sewing machine sideways to quilt, I decided to build my own quilting table from wood and fabric scraps I had around the house. I used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood which I cut 16 inches by 32 inches so it would fit on top of my sewing cabinet. I then cut a slot out for my machine to fit in. I measured how high I needed it to be to give me a flat quilting surface and ripped four 14 inch long 1 x 4's on my table saw to attach as skid-type legs and attached them to the plywood leaving room on the ends to attach the batting, fabric and clear vinyl. I attached the legs with several nails then used my palm sander to round off all the edges. I covered the top with 1 layer of 80/20 batting and a piece of fabric which I attached with a staple gun and added a piece of clear vinyl on top of that.

It works great and is light enough to move when using my machine for piecing. I can also take it with me when I travel and set it up on a table.

My mother has the same machine I do, so I made one for her as well. It only took a couple hours to build each one. I thought about putting something on the front to give it a more finished look, but decided I like having it open to put my extra bobbins, clippers and other items out of the way but within easy reach.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-83230.jpe   attachment-83231.jpe   attachment-83232.jpe   attachment-83233.jpe   attachment-83234.jpe  

attachment-83235.jpe