Thread: How to
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Katrina

I am in the process of doing (three) in this manner for my grown children as a surprise for Christmas this year. I got out the graph paper and drew out the 96" X 96" quilts for each of them. For my daughter, the blocks are 12" finished. I have never liked batting so, I use what is known as a "sheet blanket" purchased from Blair for my batting. I laid the block on a larger than 12" block and did some machine quilting on that, then laid that on a larger piece of backing fabric and did more machine quilting through that. I then stitched very close at the edge around the block and then trimmed them down. when you get all of your blocks done, you strip them into rows by cutting a 4" long strip folded in half and sew to the back of each block. Lay two blocks back to back and sew the two together with both folded edges out. On the front side, turn one folded edge to the left and one to the right and stitch down. I am using one of the fancy stitches on my Brother 6500 to do this part of the stitching. For the oldest son, I got brave and made his blocks at 22" using an Asian Print fabric with a solid black backing fabric doing it in the same manner as above.
I am now on the youngest son's and he has registered horses so, I cut a 36" X 36" panel of printed Horse Heads and Shoulders. Then on all sides of that panel, I have 15" long stripes of a cordinate fabric (had to draw my quilting lines on this) and then on the outer edge another 15" strip all around of another cordinate fabric. Be sure to remember to add your 1/4"
around all blocks when cutting the fabric. In the future, I would not use a large 36 X 36 panel in the center, too much bulk. I am on the outer strips of this last quilt with the second round of quilting. I will then go back do the stripping of all the blocks on each for the finished product. (one gets tired of looking at the same thing all the time). These grown kids have no idea that this is my "gold" for 2008.........Hope this helped.......Look for pictures of each around Christmas..............Katrina