Thread: Wonder Under
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Pam B
I have learned...trace the outline on the wonder under (paper side) and leave extra amount around it. Be sure to press (dry iron...not steam) onto the WRONG side of your fabric .... ask me how I know that. LOL
I think you meant to say press on the right side of the fabric? The WU goes on the wrong side.

I use it a lot and buy it by the bolt for fused art quilts. Your friend is right, it is much easier to needle, both hand and machine, than anything else I have tried (Steam-a-Seam2 and Heat'n'Bond) and holds tighter, longer. I use 805 only.

Make sure your scissors are sharp to reduce fraying, but if you can remove the paper before cutting the final shape, you will pretty much eliminate fraying altogether and save your scissors from dulling too. You can remove the paper and then carefully draw on the webbing or you can press a freezer paper template on the RIGHT side of the fabric (BEFORE you remove the WU paper), remove the WU paper and cut around the freezer paper edge. If you are not doing raw edge applique, none of that really matters much.(except dulling your scissors on the paper backing).

Also, you MUST prewash your fabric to have it bond securely and do NOT use anything in the dryer that will add chemicals back, like a dryer sheet. The WU does lose "power" after a few years, so try to get it 'fresh'.

PS, if you have no pressing mat, parchment paper works just as well. And you know to reverse the cutting pattern, right?