Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Quiltinsolitude
There was a design recently in a quilt magazine that I sooooo wanted to do - so I got out some scraps and followed the directions and all - it's true that the points come out beautifully, but the process is not for me! Soooo much wasted fabric, and in the back of my miserly little mind is the thought that if paper dulls my scissors, what is it doing to my needle??? (like there will never be another needle, right?)

I will continue, however, to admire the results and encourage those of you who are loving the process! :D
Elle - Hope you don't mind me muscling in here...but I wanted to share a tip on how to paper piece and NOT waste fabric!!

1. Lay fabric for piece one down wrong side up.
2. Lay the pattern over the top, ensuring there is adequate fabric extending beyond all edges by at least 1/4"
3. Place a ruler along the first side, then flip the pattern up and over the ruler being careful not to move it, exposing the fabric.
4. Butt up tight against the ruler a second 1/4" 'add-on' ruler - then draw your line. (This is your seam allowance)
5. Very carefully lay the pattern back down.
6. Now repeat on each side of Piece one.

You now have an identical copy of the pattern but with 1/4" seam allowance added.

Repeat with each part of the foundation pattern.
If you layer up your fabric you can cut multiples at the same time, as alot of patterns are symetrical and usually are made up of four identical blocks, as Elle's is. :D

If you take your time at this stage - then all you have to do is match up the edges of the fabric, making sure if it is on the diagonal that you have it centred correctly!!

Tah dah - Now I figured that out as I am very frugal with fabric!!!!
Plus found it so much easier in placing the fabric in the correct position :D

Is that as clear as mud...if you would like a photo tute....then just shout!!!! :lol: :lol: ...........I can already hear you folks tee hee!!!!