View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Polly, great tip! I can usually findold white sheets at the thrift store, too, for not much money.
Lori, I agree with you! Look at all the beautiful Depression era quilts........still here and they used whatever they could!
Funny this came up ... I happened to be at my local Humane Society thrift shop last week when a truck dropped off dozens of queen size sheets from the Hilton hotel downtown. They were the very soft, white on white stripe hotel sheets that feel like silk on your skin. What had happened, the driver said, was that the pressing machine had ripped each of them in one particular spot before the people running it found out what was happening. So they had to dump all the torn ones. The store was packed to the ceilings with all kinds of stuff that day, so the manager just put all the sheets (they were very clean) in big boxes and put a sign on, 50c each. I started looking through and found each rip to be about 3 or 4 inches long and way over on the side of each sheet. So I scooped up about a dozen, took them home and repaired the rips in about 6, and gave them to my daughters. The rest are going to be quilt backs for my newly "economized" quilts. They won't look the same as my former quilts, but they'll have such nice, soft backs, who will care? Necessity is the mother of invention!

:wink: