View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
charcrfts

I can't remember how young I was when I started sewing doll clothes by hand! When I was ten I convinced my parents to let me join 4H so I could be in the Sewing project and sew with a machine. I made a simple blouse earned a red ribbon for the construction and another red for the "dress review". I have been sewing ever since. I think it was when I was a junior in High School that my 4H club's sewing project kids decided to make a quilt and raffle it off. We each made a block, or two, in what we called a cross design, which was a 9 patch of 6&1/2" corner squares, a 4&1/2" center square and 4&1/2" rectangles between the corners. After I graduated High School, my Mom thought I should make a quilt to take away to school with me, so I made an entire "4H Cross" quilt and backed it with quilted flannel & tied it off. I still have it and use it as a utility/picnic quilt. I didn't make another quilt for about ten years, then I started a "Rose of Sharon" hand appliqued quilt. It took me another ten years to finish it. Mom helped me finish it & she liked it so much I gave it to her for a gift. She still has it on her bed, even though the edges are getting rather worn. I guess I'll have to put some new binding on it for her when I go visit sometime. After that I took a couple quilting classes, one of which I have actually finished, the other is on my list of UFO's to finish. My latest quilting projects are small items, much closer together, and getting finished on time. So I guess it has taken some time to convince me, but I'm hooked, at least on the smaller projects! :D