View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM
doglover

Originally Posted by doglover
Originally Posted by franie
What size needle are you using? Change to manual and give it a try. Can you adjust the bobbin tension? Make sure your needle is in right. Try dif tensions before you start a quilt. On my machine the numbers mean nothing as for tension--do 1/4 turn to loosen and go as much as a full turn if you have to. I would say top tension is too tight. Usually to the left loosens it. Also is your bobbin thread thinner than the top maybe? I don't have that machine but most are similar--I have a Tin LIzzie 18LS.
When I loosen the tension enough that the thread will not break, then I have loose thread on the underside of the quilt and the stitches are too loose to hold. I do have to use the same thread in the bobbin that I use on top. I just put in a new quilting needle this morning with a very large eye hoping that the thread would not break or shred but it still did. The needle was Fons & Porter Quilter's Decorative Thread Needles Size l4/90.
I test the bobbin tension by holding the thread while it is in the bobbin and shake it a little, if the bobbin only goes down a little, the tension is okay. Is this correct?

I had the manual in front of me today and loaded the needle in with the flat side of the needle against the screw as the picture shows. I also had the manual in front of me as I threaded the machine just to make sure I was doing it correctly. I don't know what I am doing wrong?