Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
Help!!! I have finished cleaning up my model 66 with the Lotus decals. The cabinet is nice and spiffy. I've put on a new treadle belt. And I can't make it work. If I move the hand wheel, the belt moves and the treadle mechanisms all seem to be doing the right thing. I try to get my feet going right along with the motion, but it isn't working. I read that putting some resin (like for a violin bow) on the belt could help improve the friction, so I will try that tomorrow. I don't know whether the problem is that I don't know how to treadle (which is true) or that the belt is too loose (I don't think it is, but maybe...) or whether it's something else entirely.
Dunster I hope this has not been answered yet because I am coming into the shop kinda late but here goes. You need to shorten your belt. It should be loose enough to not put a lot of pressure on the shaft and tight enough to not slip. I know that after I put a new belt on it takes a few times to keep trimming the belt because it will stretch after you use it for a bit. But if you go for broke and put it on to tight then you will kill the bronze bushings in the machine.

Also try turning the handwheel to get you started treadling that might help.

Billy