Thread: New cook Top
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by wvdek
I use only a blue scrubber (non-abrasive) or the crocheted netting type and Bon-Ami cleansing powder. I first wash the top with hot soapy water, sprinkle on the Bon-Ami, then scrub with the blue scrubber. If really bad, let mixture dry then scrub with dampened scrubber.
I have a black glass top. I've always been afraid that BonAmi would scratch it, so I've never tried it. I agree that the special cleaner they recommend leaves a finish you can write on like dust on a polished piece of furniture - IF you use more than a dot or 2 of it! LOL I use a razor blade scraper - like the ones you can get at a hardware store to scrape paint off windows after you paint the trim. It does a good job of scraping off splashes of stuff & burned-on bits. Then I use a soapy dishcloth to remove the bits & grease. Next, I rinse the dishcloth and wipe again. After all that is done, and if I'm not fed up with the whole process, I put on a dot or 2 of the recommended cleaner and wipe the whole top with a paper towel to remove the water streaks.

The glass tops are amazingly forgiving. If you're too tired to do it tonight, you can do it tomorrow night - or the next night. The razor scraper REALLY does a great job of getting burned-on stuff off. We've had ours for nearly 20 years, and I can make it look nearly new - when I feel like it - which isn't very often. DH does it when he feels like it, too.