View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

when i purchased my machine 7 years ago that is how i was introduced to it..we were on vacation in Florida, went into a little shop where they had one set up and a sign about a 'certification class' it was a 4 hour class, cost $50 went in learned to thread the machine, oil it, wind bobbins and put them in, and quilted a 'practice quilt'
at the end of the class i went ahead and ordered the machine for at home...it was sent to me from the factory in Utah...DO NOT BUY A LONG ARM THIS WAY! now i do the same thing, i offer the certification class, and then rent time on the machine, I have had a couple people take the certification class, had fun doing it but decided they would rather pay me to do their quilts instead, and i have a couple people who took the class and come in every 2-3 months with a new quilt to do themselves.
the lady in Florida told me anyone can quilt a queen size quilt with a flowing meandering all over design in about 2 hours...i have never managed to get a quilt done in 2 hours, no matter how small it was...but you can get one done in a reasonable amount of time. if you are going to do this i would recommend you try 2 or 3 practice quilts before you actually take one of your pieced masterpieces to do. i used to just pick up a couple yards of muslin for the top and another couple for the backing...warm and natural batting and colorful thread (so i can see everything that's happening) and quilt away...some of the practice quilts have been my granddaughter's favorite quilts, some i have zig-zagged the edges and sent them to the humane society, some have been bound and sent to the fire department, and a couple i have kept. people seem to love to write their names when first trying it out which is fun a customer's practice quilt is theirs to do with as they please (after all they do pay for it)so, i say if it's within your budget it is worth it to at least give it a shot...that way if nothing else you will understand what your long-arm er has to do and just what it takes to complete a quilt. and if you love it...then you will know you need to start saving your pennies so you can buy your own