View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
barbyq10

Hi, I am a newbie to the sewing scene, but I have somehow gravitated to making purses...so when I saw the pictures on the Quilting Board..I had to give it a try!

While I did have problems understanding the pattern instrutions, I kept trying and I eventually got it! Of course, I sewed the button loop on the wrong side..but that was my fault for not being careful..newbies have to be very careful and review often..

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else found the handles too short...my width of fabric was 42 inches long... so I made my handles 29 1/2 inches long..which is probably okay for me..but not standard.. I want to make this purse for relatives.. what is a good standard length for the handles..

Also, I did not quilt my purse (but, I still love it!!). But, I read somewhere that quilting makes the purse more stable as after washing it keeps it more together instead of shifting around. What do you guys think?

And, how do I quilt it, do I just draw lines that intersect using a ruler and marker?

Finally, I am using 100% cotton. Is there a better fabric of choice? Some of the 100% cotton I have bought from Hancock's feels a little stiff. Thanks!