View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Ginakra

I have terrible allergies, am just getting started in quilting, and it seems something in some fabrics, either the lint, dust or chemicals, really gets to me. I bought a couple of jelly rolls from an online store, and they arrived Friday afternoon. They were so "linty" that the bunnies inside the bag, and on the yardage stuck in there with it, were the size you'd find under your fridge. I'm sure I inhaled some of the "lint" while I was peeking in the bag. Well, by Friday night I knew I was in trouble, and for the next two days I was so sick I could barely function. I'm still not feeling well. :(

So I need some advice, you kind and smart quilters :). Is there any way I can pre-wash and dry these without ruining the width of the strip? Has anyone pre-washed a jelly rolll? Or is it a disaster waiting to happen and I should just send them back? My first yardage pre-washing experience did not go well, and I learned some tips, but cannot use them with these strips.

I will probably *have* to dry them, because I can't let clothes dry on a rack, the tiny amount of mold/mildew that forms in those short hours gets to me too. I have one of those sweater racks for my dryer, I thought I'd lie the strips on those for cool drying, instead of tumbling them. I will also have to wash them in warm water in the sink to try and get rid of whatever it is in there that's making me sick. Do you think they'll be ok?

I spent $50 on the jelly rolls and I'd like to hear any experiences or thoughts. I don't want to ruin them by pre-washing. I'd rather just return them.

Does anyone else have problems with fabrics, especially linty jelly rolls?

Thanks in advance!