Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
Billy - help! Yesterday I fiddled with the tension on my just-restored treadle and managed to sew some pretty decent stitches. I think I can improve it still further, but I have two questions.

First, does it matter what kind of belt you get? I bought mine from the local sew&vac, and it's red, not round, but works okay. Somehow I don't think it is the best type. I need to buy another one or two for the next treadle(s) that I fix up, and I want to get the right ones. I found one that claims to be the "best" on ebay - is this a good one to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Leather-SEW...QQcmdZViewItem

Second, the treadle (where my feet go) knocks against the metal pitman and makes an unpleasant noise. The treadle and stand assembly for this machine was in such great shape that all I did was wipe the dust off. Do I need to do more maintenance on it to get rid of the noise, or am I stuck with it?
Oh Dunster welcome to the world of treadles!! Yes they make lots of neat noises and clunks and clinks! Thats what makes them so wonderful.

If you want take some sewing machine oil and see if you cant oil all of the points that metal touches metal and it should quieten down a bit. But it will still have a few clunks and and clinks.

As for the belts they look pretty good to me I would buy it!! I am trying to get the belting material right now they come in 500' rolls so I should have some to sell when it comes in.

Billy