View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:30 AM
mygirl66

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
This is another sign of the times. I will cetainly count my blessings over and over again. I live near Philadelphia and there are many fabric outlets that sell beautiful name brand fabrics for $2.49 , $3.99. $4.99. The only catch witht them is that it may be discontinued or limited stock, so you better buy at least thee or four yards at a time. Even with this, 4 yards at $2.49 is @$10.00.

Then I am blessed with a friend whose brother is a tailor and he sends me trash bags filled with magnificent scraps. Sometinmes his scraps are two and three yards of very expensive silks and satins from wedding gowns; eyelets, etc. I make a lot of fancy doll quilts and love paper piecing. It works out wonderfully well. I seldom have to buy with such a stash.

Be encouraged quilters. Look for dressmakers and tailors in your area, you would be surprised what is given for the asking.

Ellis' Granny B
Also, there is an upholstry shop near me, they sell 2-3 yards of white flannel, for $1.00, its good quality also. They have small garbage bags of good size scraps for $1-$1.50 per bag. These are awesome for crazy quilts! I REFUSE to pay $14 a yard for fabric!I guess this just forces us to be a little more creative than we already are! It will be sad to see the LQS close one by one. :thumbdown: