View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Luv Quilts and Cats

Originally Posted by katmom54
sewing was once almost exclusively a male role...I grew up thinking that all men sewed since all I knew were men tailors and mill workers in the big woolen mills...

think of all those beautiful men's suits - made by men -back in the early/mid century....

my kids (2B,1G) have grown up with no gender restrictions - I mow the lawn, do house repairs and can use heavy equipment when needed...my boys do the dishes, their own laundry and can cook as good (almost) as me. I don't iron (hate it)...my husband and kids do their own...If you want to do it, go for it...just recently my daughter came home from her BF's mom's..mom wanted to have a lattice put on around her porch, but can't do it herself...the BF didn't have a clue, so my DD got out a hammer and saw and got it done...they laughed a little, then the mom asked if she knew how to put together the new swingset too,,,well, of course!!

the guys in the hardware stores always turn to my husband when we go in...he says, nope - she is the one to talk to...
I love your story. It's good to know how to do many things! So you can take care of yourself.