View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 AM
cimarron

Originally Posted by DebraK
Where are you in Oklahoma? I loved Tallequah when I was there. The Cherokee history was very interesting. Lake Ten Killer was nice too. Is it too late for the Stillwater Strawberry Festival? And fishing! We did a lot of fishing.
My best friend is in Stillwater, and I'll be seeing her this w/e, so I'll ck on a Strawberry Festival. (Actually, I'm wondering if maybe the Stilwell Strawberry Festival might be what you are referring to. These are SUCH similar town names!) My memory is somewhat lacking at times, so PM me if I forget to answer your question. Tallequah IS very interesting, I agree. In fact, you reminded me, I DO want to take those grandkids to see the Museum, THANK YOU! I'm in the middle of the State, so not bad drive to anywhere. Lake Tenkiller...IS very nice, I agree. LOVE to camp, but mostly in spring/fall, not NOW. TOO buggie and hot for me! AND lots of flooding too this year. Such strange weather!!! :-) Favorite place to Camp is the Federal facility (Suphur, OK nearby) and to hike is Wichita Wildlife Refuge (near Lawton, OK). The north, middle of State near the Kansas border, has an AWESOME bird refuge, brackish water, as near the Salt Plains, and MANY migratory birds stop for some R-n-R on their long journeys! I see the neatest birds when I get to visit there occasionally (spring/fall best of course). It's just north of where folks dig up those interesting salt crystals (Fed facilty too). We're on the divide, the zone between eastern hardwoods and high desert plateau - just about center of State. There are both available by traveling either direction, which I enjoy - but grandkids.... They just want to swim! So, we WILL spend lots of time at the Lake of course...eat/swim/eat/swim/eat/swim/sleep (repeat). :D