View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

my youngest granddaughter made her first quilt when she was 4, sitting at a little carebear table that was just her size. i have speed control on my machine, set it pretty slow. she laid her quilt out on the floor the way she wanted it and sewed it together. the only thing i did for her was press. some of her seams were 2 inches wide, but it was hers and it turned out just fine. we even tipped a dresser on it's side for her to stand on and she quilted it herself on the long arm...it was for her daddy who had just been deployed, she did n't want him to forget her :)( there was no rotory cutting on her quilt, she used her little round tip scissors to cut anything she thought should be cut. i didn't worry too much about stressing technique at this stage, figured if she did it her way and it turned out ok then we sparked that interest and got her started, as she grows we work on workmanship. boy, i really need to dig out those pictures... she's 9 now and has made 4 quilts...all 3 girls like making purses and pillows more than quilts