View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 PM
mpeters1200

I am a firm believer in prewashing/drying/pressing/organizing fabric, with few exceptions. I am, however, in need of some advice.

I have, I don't know, about 8 40-gal trash bags full of donated aphostery fabric for the club. Now these pieces are all same and different, which makes no sense, but you look at a book of samples when you go to a place and there are same patterns in different colors, and then same colors in different patterns. We were donated 20-30 books. I removed the non-usable fabrics and put them aside for other projects. I have A LOT of fabric now. I'm pretty sure, since they are aphostery after all and they say dry clean only all over the label, that they are going to shrink a lot.

So, my question is, is there a way I can prevent major shrinkage, or excess fraying? I saw on a post on a different topic about serging it. I'm not sure I know what that is.

I have used this type of fabric before in foundation pieced quilts for a different club. I love this type of fabric, but at the club, I came in on a different stage of completion. I've never done this from the beginning.

Have a great holiday weekend. Thanks in advance....

Melissa