View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Judie

My grandma (who we called "MOM") was a woman who firmly believed that busy hands were happy hands, and no one should spend any time at all doing something that was not in some way productive. She didn't 'waste time' and never allowed me to even sit down without something to do. I can remember thinking she was a tyrant!

Since she lived in the low desert we got up before dawn, did our cooking and heavy cleaning, then took our baths and got ready for the day. By that time the sun was up and it was already hot. There was no such thing as A/C in homes then, and she didn't own a fan. There was no TV, or any of the electronic gadgets we have today. So to pass the time she taught me all types of handwork.. knitting, crocheting, tating, hand embroidery, needlepoint and QUILTING!

There was not one piece of fabric used in a home or worn on a body that was not emblished in some way. Every kitchen and bathroom towel was edged with lace and embroidered.. every chair and table was covered with dollies, needle pointed cushions or embroidered cloths of some kind. Her beds had hand stitched quilts and those were covered with hand made lace bedspreads.

I didn't really like working on some of those things, I just wanted to play... but as I grew up those lessons have done more for my life than nearly anything else I can think of. I am happiest with a project in my hands.

I think I am healthier, and happier than most people. Learning to do these things well taught me to work hard, do every job well, work until it's done, and to do what I needed to do whether I wanted to or not. On top of those life lessons, I haven't been bored in years!

I wish she were still here to see how much those 'lessons in the desert' have meant in my life! Her lessons have now been passed to another generation, and I'm hoping to be able to teach my granddaughter as well! Thanks Mom.