View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Pati- in Phx

I have several pincushions. 3 magnetic, one by the machine, one by the serger and one in the box of notions/tools that stays with the travel machine, usually in the car.
Then there are several soft/stuffed pincushions around. Some in various containers of hand work, some waiting for others to wear out and so on.
But I also have several needle books for hand sewing needles. One of those in each hand work project case. I hate putting needles, hand sewing ones, in *pin*cushions. <G> Have found way too many when the pincushions finally give up the ghost. <G>
I do need to make a new over the arm of the couch/chair pin cushion/thread catcher. Except the one that is in tatters got pre-empted from a thread/scrap catcher to a remote control/TV
guide holder. sigh
BTW, the magnetic pin cushions and electronic machines...... it depends on the machine and where/how close you have the pin cushion. I use a magnetic pin cushion next to my electronic machine and have for years. But it is about 6" away, and the electronics on my machine are shielded. I checked with the dealer before using the magnetic pin cushion. <G>

Stuffing for pin cushions can be lots of different thing. Leftover scraps of batting can be torn into stuffing bits. Wool is wonderful.
Sawdust is what is in a lot of commercially made ones. You can also buy ground walnut hulls from some quilt shops or in larger quantity from pet shops. It is sold as lizard/reptile litter.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx