Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
GailG

it happened. Perhaps because I had read about everyone else's "episodes," I had my eyes open and "watching." But this is what happened. I stopped in for more solid black Kona cotton. I walked right up to the fabric I needed, picked up the two bolts that had very little left on them. On the way to the cutting table to have the fabric measured, I picked up a small bolt of Pellon featherweight fusible. then I saw it. A line at checkout "a mile long," and the line at the cutting table was almost as long. Now understand that DH was sitting in the car with the AC running. So I didn't dare look around for fear that I'd spot something else -- I wouldn't lose my place in line for anything. When it was finally my turn, she asked what I needed. I said that I needed each of these bolts measured -- I wanted the whole thing. For an instance, she stalled. And I'm thinking "What's the problem?" She finally snapped out of it and began unrolling the fusible. There was 8 plus yards. I asked her if she would like me to replace it on the bolt while she measured the Kona. She said she thought those in line would appreciate that. {{{{What?}}}} She measured the first piece of black cotton, folded it and then measured the second piece. She said, "four yards and 34 inches, that would be five yards." {{{{What!?}}}} The next two ladies in line opened their eyes wide. I told the "cutter", "Well that's not five yards." (I know, it was ALMOST, but by this time, it was the principle of the thing. If I had asked for 38 inches of fabric, would she have charged me for 1 yard? I don't think so.) Sooo... she brought out her little yardage calculator and did the math. This is so embarrassing, but was I being obnoxious? (The ladies in line gave me a wink when she pulled out the calculator.)

And then............when I got to checkout, the cashier had left her post and there was a line forming there again. I didn't time the wait, but it was too long. I can't say I'll make my X on JoAnn's because we are limited with resources, but I'll have to really NEED something to walk back into that place. I just can't believe they would have only 2 employees in that large store. There were shoppers all over the place in there.