Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
amandasgramma

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
years ago, many moons I treated my self to a Viking that was pretty and had lots of stitches. At that time that was my creteria. So about a week or so after I had it, and it was a weekend, I decided to load a couple of bobbins to have them already filled, locked and loaded... so to speak. Well the very first one just zipped right along faster then the speed of light. Wow, I thought, this is going to be a piece of cake. WRONG... I could not get the bobbin off. Even manually unwinding it somewhat, that sucker was not coming off. Well I am franic.. called around to several Viking dealerships, but on this side of the line, Eastern time, everything was closed so I started calling over to the set of time frames and I finally reached this wonderful man who listened to me. When I finished my pity party he said.."was your bobbin winding rather quickly?" and I said yes and I just so pleased at it's performance. "Well, he said, what you have done and many others have done it is.. plastic can be tempermental. And that if you wind that plastic bobbin way to fast it will actually cause the plastic bobbin to contract or get squeezed as tight as it can get on the little rod that it's spinning on. So he then told me that I would have to unwind the entire bobbin until I could get it off and then look at it next to a new one. And sure enough you could see where the plastic has literally molded itself out of it's original shape. My Pfaff uses plastic and I set my speed under half when ever I am winding the bobbins. Just a comment.
hugs, Blue
Wow, Blue...That's something I hadn't heard of but makes PERFECT sense!! And yes, I probably did it at top speed!!! thanks for the info!