View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 PM
galvestonangel

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I've been asked to volunteer teaching sewing/quilting at my grand-niece and nephews school to replace their dearly loved teacher. It is a Montessori school, ages I believe, are 5-9 or so. I am a little worried-I don't know where to begin. Idon't think they have machines, so it will be all hand-work-which means sewing needles! Any suggestions??? I only had two boys, and no grand-kids yet, so have no experience teaching littlies!
For my smallest DGD that is interested in doing everthing,I bought a kit from JoAnn's. It had a plasstic needle and shapes already cut out with small holes around the edges to guide them where to put the needle in. She made a bear, stuffing and embellishments were supplied also. Nancy's notions has a blade that you can put on your rotary cutter that makes the holes. Then you can make you own bears, etc. One of my DGD that went to a Montessouri school made a little pouch like the ones indians have around there necks (Looks like a small change purse.) Hope this helped you some or at least gave you a start. Good luck.