View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
I like the idea of using my cell phone to call the store - numerous times, if necessary. AND I like the idea of continuous ringing of the bell if necessary.... both after waiting a reasonable amount of time - maybe 2 - 3 minutes after ringing the bell ONE time... I'm sure they are just trying to discourage customers in the fabric dept so they have an excuse to close them down... they've lost me as a customer altogether because of it... oh well... plenty more I guess.
Well, in the past I HAVE stood there, rung the bell once or twice and waited for more than 10 minutes. Finally, I started ringing the bell constantly. I was relentless. Someone walked over from the electronics department and asked if I needed help. :shock: Uhm, really? :roll:

When I said that I was waiting for someone to come adn cut fabric for me, she said I would just have to wait because "apparently the person in this department is at lunch." I thanked her and as soon as she walked halfway back to her department (about 15 feet), I started ringing the bell again, relentlessly.

Now, I had about 8 bolts in my cart that day, so I was very serious about spending some of my husband's hard-earned ca$hola ... I was NOT going to let up. I think someone finally showed up nearly 8 minutes later, but I was going to make this sale MY WAY. I remember wanting 14 yards of black fabric (I was making a nun's habit costume for a performance for my daughter) as one of the items. This lady was king of shorting me about an inch or more with each yard she was counting out. She got to the end, grabbed the scissors, and before she could make that cut, I asked her "are you sure that's right? I only counted 14 yards and I need 15." Guess what? She had to re-measure it all again! And this time she was more accurate. Ha!

I did this several times - asking for a re-measure, changing how many yards I wanted each time, checking the notes I had in my little notebook for what I was looking for and flipping pages, etc..... Well, my time is valuable and if they want me to spend my money there, they can play it my way. That's how I feel about it.

Go to the management? They don't care. I am wasting my breath with them. Letters get nowhere. I never get a response.

Funny thing: there is ONE in my town. Another was scheduled to be built less than 5 miles away, but the community found a way to make it less than desirable for the company to put one there; it was very ugly. But in a neighboring town, the town council just put their collective feet down and said "absolutely not". It's a lovely little place, a HUGE tourist-y town and corporate had no intention of keeping the store in keeping with the "theme" of the town, so they were turned down.

I don't feel sorry for them. They barrel into a town with promises of putting people to work, but in this state the Unions rule and when the stores open and staff is not making a decent (i.e., "union") wage, the unions and their retirees get up in arms. It's really sad. WalMart has put a lot of wonderful little mom & pop shops out of business all in the name of making a corporate buck.

It's really a sad commentary on Life in America, isn't it?

Odessa