View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Baren*eh*ked_canadian

I know this has been done before, but we have so many new members that I think it would be nice for everyone to share again :) Maybe we could give a short explanation of what got us into quilting in the first place.

I'll start.
My best friend has anorexia, and has been sick for many many years. She was hospitalized again in April of 2008, for what we thought was a 3 month treatment in a special eating disorder program. (turned into 5 months, but after the first three months, she was in the day program which meant she got to go back to her own house at night and on weekends)
I visited with her several times a week and wanted to come up with a project we could both work on together and apart, so I figured we could make some appliqué blocks, 12 different blocks but two of each, so we would keep one and give the other to eachother.
I started looking up different quilting methods, pictures, chat forums (ha!) and I was instantly hooked.
Our little project never panned out, but my love of quilting was born in an instant.

Here is my first quilt. I made it in about a week, but then it took me a few months to quilt it properly. I made like, 4 or 5 tops before I decided to get cracking on my FMQ technique.
It's a trip around the world quilt, and I cut and sewed it piece by piece, before I knew anything about strip piecing, lol!
This picture was taken before it was quilted, but it is stippled using variegated rainbow coloured thread.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78177.jpe