View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 AM
charmpacksplus

I was bored and needed a project. Went to Walmart for fabric - still didn't know what I would make. Bought a yard of several different bright colored fabrics. Decided a quilt would be nice since it was December. The quilt is not gorgeous, cute, pretty, awesome or any of the other adjectives used here on the board.... but it is a reminder of how far I've come.

We all know there is no such thing as the Quilt Police, but if they did exsist, I'd be in jail for life. Don't look too close but here are the things that I didn't do the way they should be done.... but being ignorant of the rules of quilting, I hereby plead "not guilty" :lol:

1. Started project with no pattern, no instructions, no design, no plan. But there is a pattern going on... pick any color block and follow it throughout the quilt... SEE! It took me forever to figure that out.

2. I used 5/8 inch seams instead of 1/4 inch. Hey, I had only sewn garments before.

3. Pressed all seams wide open instead of to one side.

4. Stitched 1/4 inch outside the ditch.... had to catch those seams, right? If I had stitched in the ditch I would have only caught the thread since my seams were pressed open.

5. Used store bought binding. Sewed it on by machine to catch both sides at once.

6. The fabrics are a mix of cotton and broadcloth.

7. To cut fabric into squares, I used a yard stick, ink pen, and scissors. Marked lines on the back of fabric and cut each square out with scissors. I didn't own a rotary cutter, mat, and rulers at the time.... but they are my best friends now.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78281.jpe