View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 AM
All Thumbs

In my humble opinion, when Sam Walton died, the whole concept of family and customers matter also died. Big money, more countries to expand within and less service became the norm. It also depends upon the store's location. In traveling, I have found if the store is a small community where everyone knows the employees, the service is fantastic and even apologetic if they do not have a product. If the store is within short driving distances of metro areas or other stores within same town, then service falls off. My husband was in store wanting a certain soap. There was the anti-bacteria kind but not the plain kind of same brand. It took him a long time to get an associate to help him and then she did not want to stop her stocking and go to back because there were only three bars in the store according to her card-reader and she would have to walk to the back storeroom. She finally went there and upon her return handed him one bar; he took all three.

This has happened to me in the fabric section too. A price was not present for a heavy divided sewing tote bag. The 3 associates stocking notions said they did not have a phone or card-reader on them and would not go to find out for me. I walked away and Walmart lost probably a $20 sale.

In my area, all the fabric department was taken down a couple months ago. I will wait and see what returns--probably closed plastic packaged yardage. If so, even my charity quilts will not get this fabric as I want to feel the fabric and know the thread count before spending time quilting.

As in several quilters and seamstresses above noted, WMart needs to upgrade their service with a smile. Sam Walton is not smiling even though is soul is resting.