View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 AM
laurlync

This is a picture of my first quilt. In February or March of this year, my great aunt asked my mother to cut out a quilt top for her to piece. Since I didn't have hardly any quilts and had been looking for one for my bed, Mom and I picked out a pattern and fabric and cut one out for me. My great aunt hand pieced it in just a few days. I was shocked. She and I took it to one of her friends who longarm quilted it. I grew up around my grandmother and her sisters quilting (including this great aunt), but had never done much myself. When I showed it to my DBF, he was really interested and even pointed out that the two quilts he had were really old and worn out.

I have been sewing since I was little starting out with making barbie dresses. I have also made clothing, but never a quilt. So I decided to make my DBF a quilt for his birthday. I have always loved the lone star pattern and even though i have heard and read horror stories about tops made in that pattern that would not lay flat, I just decided to go for it. I was actually shocked when I completed it and it layed perfectly flat. My great aunt was also shocked that I did the entire quilt without a pattern. LOL!

I also quilted it on my home sewing machine. I wanted feathers in the corners, but decided that was probably a bit too advanced for a first quilt, so just used my walking foot and stitched the radiating lines.

My second quilt was a D9P for my mother for Mother's Day. I am now hooked and have several projects in the works now.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77832.jpe