Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM
ktbb

The first part sounds GREAT!!! Think I will try, but I am not understanding the second part??
:cry:[/quote]

Well, first, let me state that I forgot you were planning to do the D9P and I was thinking straight 9 patch. if you cut them off center I'm not sure how the disappearing part would work except you would have a lot of patches of different sizes and it wouldn't look the same as a D9P sewn and cut the regular way.

That being said, if you want to stick with regular 9P - the angling I was talking about is this....in trimming a 9P we/I usually line one of the lines on my ruler with a seam on the block and trim so each cut edge is parallel to one of the seams. to make it wonky - you forget making the edge parallel to a seam, but instead, twist the ruler a bit so that you cut a small triangle of fabric off of each corner. The resulting square is smaller than the original, but it's a fun look. They have special rulers out there now to get this effect, but I just use my square and twist it. You can play with some paper to see how to do it without messing up any fabric. Sorry I don't have any photos to show you. I haven't done this with a 9P but have done it with other pieces squares. To practice, cut a 9 inch square of paper and mark in it the seams that you would make in a patch...Now, twist your square ruler a little so that the "0" corner touches the side of the block (it will be about one inch below the corner of the square) AND the two 8 inch marks on the sides of the ruler touch the edge of the drawn block. You should see small triangles of "fabric" outside the ruler on the two sides. These triangles can be cut off, or, if you prefer, mark a new line with a different color pen so you can see the result before you actually cut. Now that you've marked or cut off those small triangles, turn the paper block around so you can cut the two remaining sides and do the same thing with the "0" corner and 8 inch marks.....does this make sense?