Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Grandma12

OK...This might work for you, or might not be "your cup of tea".

I used to own a stationary bike with a gizmo you turned to up the tension, as if riding up hill, or ease back on tension as if on a flat road.

Sat in living room...biked quietly while watching TV with family...so got in my exercise and family time...who says watching the telly makes one a couch potato...?

I biked slower, so rather than miles, I would bike during certain shows...make the biking not the thing I was thinking about...no one to run me off the road, no dogs to chase after me...and DH put wheels on the back so he could roll in into a corner when I was done...

Never in the hot sun, or the rain during a lightening storm...was ideal for me. Shower during commercials, water on hand.

If you are not sure, look for a used on on craigs-list or free cycle...or hit the thrift stores...other folks have moved up to the more expensive body building stuff...once you figure out if this is or is not your thing, then consider buying one with tachometer, or cup holder, or what ever special devices you want added...like rowing machine handles...