Thread: I'm So Happy!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Alu_Rathbone

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by candyce
It is so nice to hear a positive side of financial aid. I teach in a community college and financial aid is a great source of anger for many students.
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Why is it a source of anger?
Because there is so little help for some students. Especially if you are white... There is so much more help for others, black, asian, hispanic, native american. Women do get help, but, you have to be going into something that a woman typically do not go into.

I have a friend who went into engineering, and her entire tuition, room, and board were paid off, with out a single loan.

That! And most students don't even think of appealing to their school for more aid.

What I did originally was send an email to the financial aid office, and they told me to either get on a payment plan, OR appeal to the director of Financial Aid. I then sent the same email to the director of F.A. I explained my situation and what my mom did for a living and what not. Then I was offered more.

But! THere are so many schools that just refuse to truly help there students. THat angers me!

I wish I was a billionaire! I would offer a student or two a full ride, regardless of race or religion. The only qualification requirement is that they be in need, and sign a document stating they will remain in school.