View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 PM
rhueluna

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by rhueluna
Walmart $5 for 5 yards is OK to learn with and practice. But if you are going to make an heirloom or work of art, you should get 100% good quality fabric. It costs more, but its worth it if you do a lot of hard work on it. Cheap fabric will wear faster. Poly blends are awful. I made that mistake. It stains and holds the stains, wears thin and after you cut it out, it seems to end up smaller than the 100% cotton. If you use some of each in the same quilt, you end up having a hard time matching the seams. If you use all one type fabric, it works out better. I will only use 100% good cotton now as I make quilts as keepers. If its just to throw around on the grass for a picnic, it doesn't matter what you use. I hope this helps.

I've heard a lot of people say that cheap fabric is okay to start with. Actually cheap fabric is harder to work with than good quality fabric. Just because a fabric is good quality doesn't mean you have to pay full price though!
Thats very true. You can go online and find close outs for a decent price. i just hate to see anyone go to all that hard work and trouble with poly blends. But whatever works for ya.