View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by KSCrafter
My aunt has given me a big stash of scraps. Lots of ugly fabric including tropical prints, southwesterns, and "granny" prints. Nothing goes together and it's driving me nuts. I'd love to make something but can't get over the lack of color coordination. (We're talking HIDEOUS fabrics from the 80's!) So, I need some help.

Should I go through everything and start cutting it into strips? If so, what width do you suggest? If've been looking at the scrap quilt patterns on quiltville.com and would love to do one of them... maybe if I view the fabrics in strips of light and dark I can organize my thoughts? Any suggestions? How do you get organized? Thanks!!

I love ugly fabrics. I think they are quirky and interesting.

I've made several quilts with only uglies--
'Who let the Dogs Out?" and "Fugly." Fugly is funky AND ugly.

What I discovered when working with them is that it's best to divide the fabrics into lights and darks, like you mentioned.

It's good to choose a pattern that is perfect for high contrast, like Log Cabin. Quiltville is a great source of scrap patterns.

I also discovered that if you put red next to a really disgusting ugly fabic, the red takes the attention away from the ugly like magic.

Please post pix of your scrappy quilt when you finish it.