Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I should point out that I don't care about being greeted. If it's a store that knows me, I am always welcomed.
I do not want hovering staff, just want knowledgeable help when I ask for it

Quilters Workshop in Newport, NH : Gail Peck, Rachael and I can't remember her name - all great ladies
Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH - Becky and all the staff

New England Fabrics Keene, NH - I rarely shop there because they don't carry fabric I like but the staff is good. I bought Jem Golds for my granddaughter and grandson and a Gold and Platinum for myself - good prices, know the machines.

Portsmouth Fabrics in Portsmouth NH - great fabrics, helpful staff

Log Cabin Fabrics, Ravena, NY - Londa VanDerzee's great
Gloversville Sewing Center, Gloversville, NY - Diana Marshall is a gem. I bought my Bernina from Diana at QBL in the late 80s; and I still bring it to their shop for her husband John to service it.

Textile Company Greenville (I think), Mass - vast fabric collection, staff very helpful - they don't take charge cards
Southampton Quilts, also in Mass. Wonderful fabrics, good staff
Cambridge Quilt Shop Cambridge Mass - good fabrics and help

City Quilter, NYC - Amy and Cathy knowledgeable and helpful
I think these comments illustrate how stores are not either good or bad - maybe just have bad days. I stopped in to Portsmouth Fabrics on a New England vacation. They looked at me when I walkd in, and looked away, but no one said anything. I walked around the store several times, went downstairs to the clearance area, back around the store - no one said anything. They weren't rude or mean, I was just invisible. Walked out without buying anything. We also stopped at Close To Home in Glastonbury Ct. after eating dinner at the Italian restaurant next door. They were so friendly, and interested inour trip, I spend about $150.