View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 04:10 AM
mom-6

I have not yet ventured out and tried this so I'm wanting to know how to "get my feet wet" so to speak.

I've gathered that the step by step progression is 1) practice on a scrap sample with each technique 2) stitch in the ditch is the most common way to begin initially 3) echoing the design is a likely next step 4) meandering is the most common way to venture out into free motion quilting

Now can any of this be done with just leaving the regular foot on the machine and not changing any of the settings? Or does everything require something special? If so what is best for each application?

I have a couple of feet that look like they might be what I've seen described as being used for machine quilting but I don't know which one would be best to use when.

One looks more like a donut than a foot.
Another seems to have a spring in it somewhere.
And one said on the package that it was for quilting, but it just looks like both sides are the same size and is meant for doing the 1/4" seam accurately rather than having any other special qualities.

So I would appreciate the help of all you wonderful folk who know more about this than I do.