View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 AM
nursie76

Originally Posted by ktbb
Originally Posted by mom-6
Will I be able to do SID with my Featherweight? If so which of the feet that came with it would I use? I know there is one that is a darning foot, but somehow have associated that with FMQ. Would either the regular foot or the zipper foot work? I was thinking the zipper foot might be more forgiving of something thicker like a quilt. I realize it would most likely only accomodate a wall hanging or possibly up to crib size.
SID can be done on a Featherweight using a regular foot, and probably a zipper foot, tho I've never used a zipper foot for this purpose. For contemporary machines, the darning foot is used for FMQ, but I dont know if the darning foot for the Featherweight is the same thing....someone else may be able to answer that. The only problem with using a regular or zipper foot for SID on a quilt is that the quilt "sandwich" is much thicker than piecing and the top fabric is apt to want to move out of position, which is why the walking foot is so good....just don't know if one is available for the Featherweight.
Yep, they are available. Got one for my featherweight years ago when I first got her. I think I got it from a Bernina dealer that handled accessories for a number of machines. Didn't cost much. It was a generic foot, not a Singer specific one, but it works fine. I do believe they have them on Ebay. Any LQS near you that carry machines and accessories? That would be the place to start. BTW, the walking foot for the Singer is narrower in the feed dog area than for a regular Singer.