View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM
belmer

Lori.... You said it ALL I could not have said it better myself. I have done this for many years also and it always worked for me to have smaller items in various trendy colors.
Originally Posted by Lori S
I have been doing craft fairs for over 20 years.
A few tid bits I can share
1. it never failed when I had full size quilts , someone wanted it bigger ...smaller.... one fabric was not exacty what they wanted. Too many comments I can buy it for less at....( they refered to imports from China).
2. Small items under $100 dollars will always sell better. Under fifty even better than $100.
3. Most people at shows are typically buying in impulse... unless just before Mothers Day or Christmas.
4. Picking what show you will do is the most important decision. Do not waste time and effort at small shows.
5.Juried shows will typically be better since they are selecting the best of the best and have a good following and reputation to do so.
6. Producing inventory for a sizable show takes along time but ... I would rather do One or two big shows than lots of small shows that have poor revenue. Color is trendy ... be careful on too much inventory in a color(s) that will be out of trend. Know when to stop producing a item or color.
7. Do look in retail to see what colors are trending. I always go trend shopping twice per year , plus research on what is shown in catologs.
8. The last comment ... most consumers are cluless on the real time to make quilts or other handmade items and will compare to what they see in retail from walmart to Macy's. but there are some who do value quality in both workmanship and design who will pay/purchase.