View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 PM
amandasgramma

I found this in a cookbook I picked up at Joann's!!! It's WONDERFUL!!!!! Thought I'd share (be sure to read ALL the directions before beginning -- especially the notes below):

Southwestern Chicken Casserole

1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup butter or margarine

1 cup fine chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
3 ½ cups fresh broccoli flowerets (I used cauliflower)
1 lbs processed cheese cut into pieces (I used combo cheddar and monterey jack)
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies (see note below)
4 cups cooked rice
Sour cream to serve

Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder evenly over chicken and saute in butter. Cook ten minutes. Add broccoli/cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli/cauliflower is tender and juices run clear. Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

In small saucepan (I recommend using the microwave), combine cheese with tomatoes/green chilies. Stirring occasionally, cook over medium-low heat until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Spoon rice into a greased 2 ½ qt (see note 2 below) casserole. Spoon chicken mixture over rice and then pour cheese mixture over chicken (I mixed the two before reading the directions…works fine). Cover and bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with sour cream.

Serves 6-8

Note 1: I screwed up and put in 1 can (10 oz) of the tomatoes and chilies AND a small can of chilies….heh heh heh -- it was GOOD!

Note 2: I HALVED the recipe for the 2 of us, and IT filled a 2 ½ qt casserole. I recommend a 9x13 if doing the whole recipe!

ENJOY