Thread: Comfort Quilt
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
momski

So the bad news keeps rolling in... we just found out my Uncle has stage 4 lung cancer. It is a really rare, genetic form that attacks muscle fibers of the organs. As many of you know, there is a slim chance of surviving lung cancer (under 20%) and his odds are even less because of the type of cancer he has. SO, he is starting experimental treatment in 2 weeks and I want to make him a comfort quilt to take with him during treatment.

I have put together a LSU themed quilt that incorporates 6 inch solid and signature blocks for his loved ones and caregivers to sign. I have two questions about the logistics of this...

1. What can I put behind each siggy block to stabilize it for persons to sign it after its been quilted and that will survive several washes?

2. This quilt needs to be super warm. How can I beef it up?

Ideas that others have mentioned include 1) low loft batting with a fleece backing, 2) high loft batting followed with a flannel backing or 3) two layers of high loft batting with cotton backing. I have not tried any of these before and am not excited about quilting something super thick (like two layers of batting).

Your input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.