Thread: Adding a ruffle
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 AM
donnajean

For a quilt, I would made a 2 sided ruffle. Add the desired width ruffle you want & 1/2" seam allowance; then double that. Measure each side of quilt & then multiply that by at least 1.5 for fullness in ruffle. Cut as many strip as you need & seam the ends together in 1 long "loop". Fold in half lengthwise & press. Then place the dental floss along the cut edges of the strip & do a zig-zag stitch over it just inside the 1/2" seam allowance. When you have zig-zaged all around, devide the strip by 4 & place straight pins. Start pulling the dental floss to "gather" the ruffle. Attach the ruffle to quilt by pinning the 4 corners 1st & then pulling the dental floss until each side of ruffle is same as quilt top.

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Originally Posted by donnajean
I no longer gather the ruffle with the 2 rows of stitching like I learned way back as a teenager. I use dental floss & stitch a zig-zag stitch over it. Dental floss won't break like pulling on the bobbin stitches of rows of thread. Before pulling the floss to gather, I put pins to mark off the 4 sides of the quilt, so that I get equal gathering on each side of the quilt.
Ok so I have never made a ruffle. From what I was reading they kept folding it under and sewing. What is this pulling business? Very curious.