View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Louise C

Well, Pretty Kitty, I had a thorned conscience about this myself. One of my friend is a member of the Cercle des Fermières, an association of women in this country that promotes quilting and general craftworks with reunions every month etc.. This association is very strict: everything in a quilt must be handmade.

I was in the same situation as you and I was torturing myself, not quilting because of the time consuming for an active woman like me.. So, last month, I took a decision: forget about the restrictions and go ahead with my own experience. I had a baby quilt top that was finished; I made my sandwich with the stuffing from an old bedspread that I had kept, and the underlayer from a white cotton bedsheet and basted it with pins.

It stayed like this until last week when I saw a lady on a video about free motion on her ordinary machine. Here is the link:

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/03/free-motion-quilting.html

She mentioned to have the darning foot and to put the plate to hide the feet dogs. Another thing I did is to wear surgical gloves so that the fabric does not slip under my hands.

Next week, I will place a picture of my very very first quilt made this way. You will be the judge. I have a Singer Touch'N Sew that dates from the 70'ies and another Singer Quantum Futura for embroidery. I made the quilt with the TNS.