View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Rebecca VLQ

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
That's been my mindset lately! I want to enjoy what I do and a couple key experiences and thoughts stand out that makes me want to be in social work so I can work directly with the kids who need someone to love them! I just think nowadays some parents just don't love their children like they should!
This is very noble. Very very noble. I would caution, however, to really know what you're getting into with social work. I know that maternal feeling, of wanting to love everyone and take care of everyone. In social work that is a very good trait...to have that extra drive to get them the best help possible. The crux of the matter is, a lot of times this same caring and concern tears at your heart because you can't save everybody. Not even half the everybody. And the "reward" of knowing you had influence and put the kid/person on a good path....you just gotta believe that you did. You may never see that kid for years and years, if ever. It takes practice to master being the rock, the stability, the one that people come to because you're motives are honest and true, with no agenda, to help them untangle a complicated life. Within the framework of a profession, no less.