Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Bernadette Harwood

I still really feel if it isn't your original, I would not print it to share for free or sell it. You never know where it can lead, mostly trouble. I don't even allow my students to copy any of my directions from any of my books. They are allowed to use them in classes but no copying. Most authors allow you to make and sell using their patterns but there are a few that make a restriction that you can't make and sell.
When you design your patterns it is up to you what restrictions you want. Just make them clear and understandable. I say on mine that they can use them for themselves and in classes but if a student wants a personal copy they must purchase it. Nothing will stop them from copying it except honesty. I know I would like the proceeds from my patterns so I feel it is only fair to others not to share their patterns. After all we are the ones that took the time to design them, write them up, and check to be sure everything is correct. Of course this is just one quilters opinion. Happy quilting:-) Bernadette
Aunt Bee's quilts and more