View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Ruth Cozadd

I have used the sew slip at our local quilt shop. (They had one there for demo purpose.) It works if you are quilting nothing larger than a place mat. I did not find it very helpful on larger items. I have a much more practial solution that works well for my purposes. First of all you must have your machine level with your table, or desk top. Sorry, but you girls who are still trying to free motion with your freearm on the kitchen table are never going to be able to manage the quilt the way you want to, your set up won't let you no matter what extra gadgets you buy. My work space (table top with the machine set down into it) is 36 in. by 54in. It is wood but it would not have to be. It has about 5 coats of poly varnish on it. Then sanded with very fine sandpaper (300 grit or smaller) and then has about 3 coats of good quality furniture polish on top of that. My entire work surface is a slick as the sew slip sheet you are talking about. It has changed my whole attitude and enjoyment of freemotion quilting. Trust me you would not believe the difference it makes!!!!